Saturday, September 10, 2011

Is It Chowder Yet?: Traditional Labor Day Festivities

Chowder started in the early morning.
 Every year for the past 25+ years my dad's sister Kathy has hostessed what has come to be known as "the Chowder Party." Chowder originated with Aunt Kathy's abundant garden; she has always had gorgeous gardens filled to the brim with vegetables and later on flowers. Chowder was the perfect way to use up all those vegetables, and to get together with family.











Meat on a spit.
Every Sunday before Labor Day the bricks, wood, and chowder vat are set up in the stone driveway in front of the house, the wooden stir-paddle is brought out, the roasts are put on the spit, and the dogs are licking up drippings and burning their faces on the hot metal of the spit. The barn is set up for the rest of the food: appetizers, side dishes, and desserts, and Paul barricades himself with a couple of grills (the roasts are done when he has finished his eleventh beer, I think,--every year, and the meat turns out decadently..it amazes me).
My cousin Tom stokes the fire for the chowder.

Over the years the party has evolved from being sometime between the end of August and the beginning of October to "don't make any plans for Labor Day--that Sunday is the Chowder party." Along with the date, the food at the party has changed too.




A grand Labor Day party.

It started with, of course, chowder, but also included some french bread. Mmm chowder and crusty french bread. Today, however, the food situation has become much more elaborate. It starts with Aunt Kathy up at 3:30AM chopping this and that for the chowder pot and prepping the numerous side dishes she creates to accompany the main event. 





Had to get the pro to check on the chowder.

Chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting.

This year I decided to contribute my great grandmother's chocolate cake, which I recently acquired from Aunt Kathy and have been dying to make. The batter is made into a decadent custard (which I was a touch wary of making at first--I've never made one), but it was so easy and it made the cake so incredibly moist. I have never made a cake that moist--almost gooey! (and not because it was under-baked).

The big debate: Do you like it as soup or chowder? Chowder!


It was so nice to create something that a relative I never met created for the ones she loved. I felt a new connection to my family. I love the way food does that--brings you close to your family even when they're nowhere in sight. I received great praise for my great grandmother's cake, too. I used a chocolate buttercream frosting that I am familiar with instead of making her egg white meringue frosting. Next time though I'm going to be making that frosting.

Such a moist chocolate cake!

All in all the day was as fabulous as I knew it was going to be. I got to sit around outside under the trees with vivid colors from the gardens all around, the smells of the smoky chowder brewing, grills grilling, and chatting with family, and just relaxing and enjoying the day.




It's chowder! And so delicious!




Chowder has always been, and probably always will be, my favorite summer party.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm.... Looks SO YUMMY! Also, I just saw a couple of friends the other night, one of whom was at my bridal shower. Her husband went ON about the cupcake she brought home from it, and how it filled the house with a delicious aroma, but Kelley wouldn't share it with him! He's still thinking about your Red Velvet cupcakes, and says he wants some! I told him to call you and you'd be happy to make him some.... for a price. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad they were a hit! I would love to make more...they really were delicious :)

    ReplyDelete