Sunday, June 26, 2011

Celebrating Legalization Of Gay Marriage In NY!


“Love is just love, it can never be explained.”
-James Earl Jones

The morning I found out the Same-Sex Marriage law was passed, I found a spectacular and most fitting idea for a cake. This cake has every color in the rainbow, and I couldn’t have found it at a more perfect time. In honor of this momentous day, I decided to make a mini rainbow cake.

Batter not yet colored.



The article calls for making an ordinary vanilla cake. After the batter is made, it is divided into five or six bowls (depending on how many colors you want). I decided to use red, yellow, green, blue, and purple. I know from making Red Velvet cake that food coloring can make the batter taste funky, and I also know that adding flavoring masks the strong flavor from the dye. I used cocoa powder to give the red and purple a deeper color, and to give the cake a bit more flavor.








Making purple: cocoa powder, blue, and red dye.

Once the batter is separated and the colors are mixed it is time to pour the bright rainbow colors into the cake pans. Purple is put in first because it is the outside color for my rainbow, and because it has the most batter. Pour it in the pan and give it a shake. This evens out the batter without leaving spatula marks, peaks, and valleys. Put in the next color, blue, now the most amount of batter of all that is left. Give that a shake, too, and it evens out—sinks into the purple and displaces it. Keep pouring the layers in and shaking them out, your smallest amount of batter going in last. It already looks like a masterpiece!

What a pretty rainbow!



Bake for 20-25 minutes. I ended up cutting the recipe in half and making two six inch layer cakes. A perfect amount for three people.







All the layers are in!

I was so impressed by the way the cakes turned out! They looked different from the picture I found, but then nothing ever turns out the same way you think it will, but they still looked great! Once the cakes cooled mom and I decorated the cake with buttercream frosting, sprinkles in a rainbow pattern, and silver balls of death (you can decorate your cake with them, but the label is sure to tell you not  to ingest them….). The cake looks perfect!


The finished cake.
So pretty!

I couldn’t have been more pleased when mom cut into the cake – the layers lined up almost perfectly, the top layer’s colors matching up with the bottom layer’s colors. This cake is the most beautiful cake I have ever made, for sure. Now I will admit that it was not the most delicious – that pesky dye flavor got in the way of the natural flavors of the cake, but it was gorgeous! I have been thinking of ways to make it not only beautiful, but tasty too. Perhaps almond flavoring or using naturally colored substances like blueberries, raspberries, etc. This would minimize the use of dye, and give the cake a natural flavoring.

That's pretty cool.

 

I am so happy with this cake, but I am even happier for my friends.The ones I love are now able to marry the ones they love – bring on the weddings, and if you need a cake, you know where to find me!
Gorgeous.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment