Monday, June 6, 2011

Three Fabulous Wedding Cakes For Two Special Friends

Have you ever been asked to be a bridesmaid and make the cake for the same wedding? Well I have! I agreed to both almost a year ago, and yesterday I pulled it all off. I was so incredibly honored when Sue asked me to make her wedding cake that summer's afternoon at Java Junction. I think my chin may have literally dropped to the table -- that's a secure (or completely nuts) bride who will let an amateur baker plan and execute such an important aspect of her special day. Of course I agreed to do it, and then she hit me with, "I would also like you to be a bridesmaid if you think you're up to it." Um, yes! I have never done either of these things singly, and I agreed to do them both simultaneously. Maybe I'm the one who is nuts! After months and months of planning, cake tasting, figuring, and purchasing, the blessed weekend arrived. And I was much calmer than I would have originally thought. Since the wedding would take place on Sunday I decided to start baking the Friday before, frost/decorate Saturday, and then set up on Sunday. Miraculously, everything went mostly according to plan, and the cakes turned out more spectacularly than I could have ever imagined. I could go on and on about my experiences throughout the weekend, so I've decided to post the pictures my mom and I took to let them do most of the talking.

Paula Deen would have a field day in my kitchen!
Mom loves her hairnet. I guess that's a good thing :)

Ginger cake....and Guinness? Yes, please!

The flower nail in the center and the strips around the edge make the cakes turn out perfectly!

Hazelnut cake

Spicy Chocolate cake
 So many people said that these cakes were the best wedding cakes they had ever had. These cakes were not your average chocolate or vanilla cake. They had pizazz!
I am the master of mess-makers.

Two done! One to go!

Who needs food when you have cake?

Decorating the cakes with flowers and butterflies.
Sue, Scott.............and baby Sue-Scott?..........

The completed cakes! My, oh my.


My masterpiece.

Lauren seems to be enjoying her cake.
So many of Sue and Scott's guests came up to me and said how delicious the cakes were, and that they had a slice of each one, filling them to capacity. And if they hadn't had three slices, they were going up for more, and taking some home!
My cakes! Chopped to pieces!
I'd say that was successful.
First time as a bridesmaid--check! First time creating, executing, baking, decorating wedding cakes--check!

What an amazing experience! 
Congratulations to the gorgeous couple, Sue and Scott! <3

Any feedback from attendees are welcome!

3 comments:

  1. What a blast! I can't believe all those months of planning and now it's over. On to the next great baking adventure. Me and my hairnet are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Bride, I couldn't have been happier.... with everything, but especially the cakes. Not only because we had the most awesome cake in existence at OUR wedding, but because you had so much personal success. When the caterer (a well-known and popular one in our area) asks for your contact info, you know you've done a great job! I'm so happy for you two, and so appreciate all your hard work and care. <3 much love. :) --Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so incredibly happy that you and Scott (and everyone else!) loved the cakes. They were a blast to create, and I'm so honored that I could play such a huge part of your day! I'm so glad I was able to pull off both things :) Love to you and Scott <3

    ReplyDelete