Monday, August 15, 2011

A Sterling Renaissance Feastival

A small glimpse of the food-type offerings.
If you have never been to a Renaissance festival, I highly recommend you take yourself to one. Mom and I have been going to the Sterling, NY Renaissance festival for a good 10-15 years now. I remember the first time I walked through the gates and entered a mystical and enchanted wonderland. People in every direction are clothed in period costumes, and speaking in a semi-foreign tongue, aye? It's completely fabulous, and the highlight of every summer. This year was no different. There was the threat of rain all day the Sunday we planned to go, but thankfully the gods held off until after 5pm  before unleashing their tempests. 
Emery helping the little pucker.
Even then it wasn't that bad. So the day was glorious, warm midday and cooler in the evening. Since I have been baking so much my first thought was to scope out all the delicious treats the festival had to offer. After chatting with an old friend of my mom's, the resident glassblower, we went to look for food! Man was there everything to choose from! Cinnamon buns, gyros, roast beast, apple dumplings with ice cream, freshly ground cappuccinos, turkey legs, steak on a stick, deep fried ice cream, and many others.
Don Juan and Miguel in a blindfolded sword fight!
While mom and I were getting the lay of the land we stumbled on Emery's fleet right in the middle of a Rat Puck tournament. I've been coming to this festival forever and I have never seen a tournament, so this was a really cool experience. Emery explained how to play: the Nancy-boy Australian curve Nordic trek (or something along those lines). And don't forget to yell "CHEEEESE," else you'll be penalized. What the pucker does is situates his rat atop his rat pucking stick, and then instead of pucking the rat into the target, you carry the rat in giant steps and gently set the rat through the hole, thusly. It was awesome to see actors and civilians alike playing this game, and getting so into it.
Franko and the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life.

We then saw Don Juan and Miguel who were sword fighting. Don Juan ended up going through blindfolded. Impressive! I needed a refreshment after this adventure and opted for a roast beast sandwich, which unfortunately was not that good. But then I got a strawberry wine slushy, and things were then again righted.
Strawberry wine slushy.
 
Mom and I went to check out a master hypnotist after fooding, and I have never ever in my life laughed so hard. Except last year when we watched Franko's show for the first time. I'll just say that I saw a man give birth, and the nurse and doctor who assisted with his delivery had in fact seen a man give birth before. I had tears running down my cheeks and sunscreen stinging my eyes from laughing so hard. We went back for his other two shows because they are just that good. Even though Franko basically does the same show every time, the entertainers are always doing something different and completely hilarious. At the end of his show Franko always makes sure to tell all those who are hypnotized how wonderful they are and that "every day in every way" they are becoming better and better people and are surrounded by loved ones. He entertains, but also taps into the subconscious to make positive change in the people's lives.
Johnny Fox with his water from India.

Once composed again, Mom and I went to see Johnny Fox (and fox is putting it mildly; the man is gorgeous) the sword swallower. You know it's going to be a good show when he shouts at the passersby to get them to attend the show, "If you have nothing else to do....do me!" He delivered. Johnny Fox had his trusty jug of water from India, a never ending supply of water. Where does the water come from, you ask? India. He then swallows all kinds of horrible looking swords, a giant screwdriver named King Philip (King Flat Head just doesn't sound as good), and a long cylindrical balloon. He also nails a spike into his skull, pops his eyeball (it's for the kids!), and "pierces" his tongue. Always an incredible show. Before Mom and I went to watch Franko again after Johnny Fox's show, we went in search of the fried ice cream. I've heard of it, and always wanted to try it out.
Contemplating my fried ice cream.
Pretty sign!
The ice cream was vanilla and was doused in chocolate sauce, and whatever the frying stuff was..it had a strange coconut flavor, whether or not it was, I do not know. It was rather delicious, but didn't taste much different from regular ice cream. After eating that I decided that the next time I make ice cream I'm going to deep fry it. I do have a fryer, after all. I am grateful for the idea, and I'm excited to see how I can make it even more delicious than what I tasted at the festival.

Milan creating something magnificent out of brightly colored glass sticks.







This year tops all other years at the festival. I saw so many incredible shows, met up with people I didn't expect to see, and just before I left my mom's friend, Milan, introduced us to Johnny Fox, and he shook my hand. The festival doesn't get better than all of that. I can't wait for next year -- which shows I'll be seeing, the performers who will be back, and what new foods will be added!

No comments:

Post a Comment